Thursday, August 19, 2010

Just Peachy

It's peach season! Yahoo! I love peaches. Probably my favorite fruit. We went peach picking a couple of weeks ago but they were so unripe,that I finally just made baby food out of them yesterday. It was delicious though. I made some plain and some with blueberries. Zoey loves them. "Om nom nom", as she would say.

I wanted to make freezer jam too, but I didn't have enough peaches, so I went to a different orchard because they were advertising buy one bag, get one free. Turns out, they actually had some really ripe ones in, what I like to call, the "As Is" or "Crash and Dent" section. Some were slightly bruised, but overall, not bad at all. I think out of the bunch, I had to throw one out. They also turned out costing less than the ones that were buy one get one free too. Oh, and I also might add, they were way cheaper than when I went to pick my own. And I didn't have to break a sweat to get them. Bonus!

The peaches were so sweet that I only used less than 1/4 of the sugar that the recipe called for. Seriously... the recipe called for 4 1/2 cups of sugar for one batch and I had double the amount of peaches. The thought of putting 9 cups of sugar in them was a little sickening. I added 1/2 cup at a time and tasted... it was perfect after 2 cups. I guess you have to have some pretty tart peaches or a real sweet tooth to need the full amount of sugar.

I couldn't resist, even though it wasn't set yet (and on a homemade roll).

Zoey and I in a peach tree!

4 comments: